You love wearing Converse (Canvas) shoes, but your favourite one is the white Converse you pair up with your jeans, skirts and sometimes dresses. The greatest nightmare is getting your white Canvas dirty and then wondering how to clean them up. Believe us, it is not really a struggle to keep the white Converse white provided you know the trick. Don’t think too hard about how to clean white Converse shoes, we share with you some easy tips.
After doing this, your dirty Converse shoes will become sparkling white, as good as new. These procedures are simple and can be easily followed at home to restore the colour of your dear Converse shoes.
Here’s how to clean white Converse shoes
1. The baking soda and vinegar method:
1. You need to first expose the entire canvas to the washing for which you need to remove the shoe laces.
2. In a mug, drop a tablespoon of detergent like Surf Excel or any other you use and stir to form lather. Dip the shoe laces into it. Allow them to soak for 20 minutes and rinse them off under running tap water.
3. You need to first wash your Converse well. For this either soak them in a tub of cold water for about 15 minutes, or the more tedious hold it under a running tap and rinse.
4. In a plastic bowl make the baking soda and vinegar paste by mixing two tablespoon baking soda and three tablespoon vinegar. The paste will froth up.
5. Dip a clean toothbrush in this paste and scrub your Converse rigorously. The step is supposed to eliminate any stains, yellow spots in the shoe. Run it over every fold of the Converse till its original white colour starts showing again.
6. Wash it off with cold water, ideally under a running tap.
7. In an unloaded washing machine, add a tablespoon of your detergent and drop the shoes in it. Tip in cold water and turn on the washing machine with the timer set at about 25 minutes. Your shoes are going to make a lot of noise as they hit the walls of the machine, but that’s fine.
8. Take them out and set them for drying under the sun. You need to air your shoes to make them crisp and wearable again. Else it will remain damp and moist.
9. Do not be in a rush to dry your Converse by using a blow dryer, as this can alter the natural shape of your shoes.
How to clean white Converse shoes? Well, now you know!
We tell your another easy and effective method on how to clean white Converse shoes without breaking a sweat.
The glycerin and lemon method:
1. Again you need to wash your shoe laces separately. So, pluck them out and dunk them in a mug of water with some detergent added to it. Let it stand for about 15-20 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
2. First you need to rinse your Converse. Drop them in a bucket of cold water and let it soak for about 15 minutes.
3. In a bowl, make a solution of three tablespoon glycerin and two tablespoon fresh lemon juice. These two agents are great bleaches to remove every kind of stain, yellow spots and blemishes from the fabric.
4. Using your fingers to work your way around your white Converse, scrubbing thoroughly to remove the dirt and stains.
5. Rinse off with cold water under a running tap.
6. In an empty washing machine, tank cold water and a tablespoon of the detergent. Pour the shoes into it, and allow it to run for about 30 minutes.
7. Place your wet shoes in the open, under sunlight. It will dry up fast and naturally without losing shape.
8. Do not leave them indoors as your white Converse will remain damp and smelly.