What girl doesn’t own nail polishes in every possible colour! From pre-teens to adults, women are fascinated by nail polishes, and usually own a collection that is a perfect match to all the colours they have in their wardrobe. Like a rose for every occasion, girls have a brand new nail polish for each. A colour matching her pumps, one to go with that glossy tote handbag, another with that short tee, and the list is endless.
Women love, always have, nail polishes in every possible hue under the sun, from glossy reds, oranges, sunshine yellows, pastel to electric pinks, shocking maroons to more metallic finishes in blue, green and grey. There isn’t a colour in the world to which a nail colour doesn’t correspond.
While we obsess over nail polishes and change them sometimes on a daily basis to coordinate with our outfit, there are things these petite little bottles of colour do to our health, which often can be more damaging than you can anticipate.
Here are things you never knew the innocuous nail polish was capable of.
1. Chemical in nail polish called ‘formaldehyde’ can cause hormonal imbalance
Scientists have found that nail polishes are made up of, though in varying degrees, potentially hazardous ingredients. The chemical composition in them has many disrupting hormones aside from cancer-causing compound called ‘formaldehyde’. Three other chemical compounds in them, medically referred to as the ‘toxic trio’ are extremely potent putting salon workers at maximum risk.
2. A component called ‘toluene’ in nail polish can damage the central nervous system. It is also used in petrol.
Did you know what gives your nail polish that seamless application, and keeps the pigment (or colour) from separating in the bottle? A substance called ‘toluene‘ which is a commonly used solvent, is the magical ingredient behind this. But the chemical properties in toluene has the potential to cause reproductive harm and affect the central nervous system. In fact, the substance is also a major additive in petrol.
3. Inhaling chemicals from nail polish can lead to breathing problems and respiratory disorders
On repeated use of nail polishes you are also exposing yourself to the chemicals evaporated from the bottle which are trapped in the room if there is no proper ventilation. And continuous exposure to such chemicals can lead to breathing problems, respiratory disorders, and increased sensitivity of the skin.
4. Neurological symptoms and memory problems are the other fallouts of chemicals in your nail polish
Other hazards from excessive use of nail polishes are skin irritations, allergic reactions and eye injuries. Repeated exposure to these chemicals can even be linked to neurological symptoms, respiratory disorders, nausea, thought and memory problems, uncontrollable muscle contractions, cancer, to impaired reproductive and development processes. A research in the Cancer Prevention Institute of California has documented these acute health effects of nail care products.
5. Toxic chemicals in nail polish can cause preterm delivery, undersized babies and other reproductive problems
The exposure to the toxic chemicals in nail care products has also been linked to an array of reproductive health problems including spontaneous birth, preterm delivery and undersized babies among other complications in pregnancy. Chronic headaches are also another fallout of this overexposure.