Obviously you have missed your periods, and you are extremely anxious to know whether it is just a case of delayed periods or you may actually be pregnant. The pregnancy kits on the market may be expensive and not an option if you want to find out right away. The stress over missed periods is killing you, and you are secretly hoping to be a mother. Try these easy home pregnancy tests that are quite accurate, and tell you whether you are soon going to be a mother.
A pregnant woman shows the presence of the hormone HCG (Human Chronic Gonadotropin) which is picked up by the tests done using a pregnancy kit. Usually its stains can be picked up in the blood or urine, and you need to give a gap of 5-7 days after your missed periods to get more accurate results. This HCG hormone is released into the placenta, the sac formed around the embryo once it implants against the uterus wall.
Even a home pregnancy test can detect this hormone in your urine, and we suggest some of the easiest, non-hassle home tests to find out if you are pregnant. However, make sure the urine used in the sample is the first urine of the day as it is more concentrated as the presence of HCG can be easily picked up in it.
Do’s and Don’ts for a home pregnancy test
1. You need a clean and dry plastic container, spoons and spatula.
2. For the chemical reaction to take place, you need to give it about 5-10 minutes and then read the results.
3. Since home pregnancy tests are not cent per cent accurate, repeat the procedure a few times to get a more consistent result.
4. Make sure the quantity of urine is adequate to perform the test.
5. You should ensure the sample is placed on a flat surface and the contents of the sample are not disturbed or shaken.
Ideas for home pregnancy tests:
1. The bleach method
Bleach is considered to respond to the presence of HCG hormone in urine.
1. In a container tip in some bleach.
2. Tip in the urine sample into the bleach and wait for a reaction.
3. If within 5 minutes there is no reaction, the test result is negative.
4. If the mix of urine and bleach starts to froth and bubble, that means you are pregnant.
Careful while handling bleach, wear a glove, and preferably do the exercise in a courtyard or balcony to avoid the release of toxic fumes.
2. The toothpaste method
Do not use gel toothpastes, get yourself a full-fledged white toothpaste for the test. Use the spatula to blend the toothpaste with the urine sample.
1. Take some toothpaste in a bowl.
2. Tip in about the same quantity of urine into the toothpaste.
3. If you see no reaction, and the toothpaste doesn’t change colour, you are not pregnant.
4. If the toothpaste gives out a bluish colour or begins to froth, you test result is most definitely positive.
3. The sugar technique
Among various methods of home pregnancy tests, the sugar one is quite popular and well-endorsed. This is because, sugar doesn’t dissolve if there is pregnancy hormone in your urine.
1. In a bowl, take a couple of spoon of white sugar.
2. Tip the urine into the sugar.
3. If the sugar particles sticks together and forms a clump, then you are pregnant.
4. If the sugar simply dissolves into the urine, your test result is negative.
4. The soap water method
A regular soap bar is also believed to detect the presence of HCG hormone in the urine.
1. Collect your urine sample in a container.
2. Tip in soapy lather into it.
3. If the liquid starts to bubble and froth after a few seconds, your result is positive.
4. If the soap water doesn’t react to the urine sample, you are not pregnant.
5. The vinegar method
Vinegar is an extremely reliable and popular choice for home pregnancy tests. Besides, it is also cost-effective.
1. In a bowl, pour some white vinegar.
2. Add the urine sample into the vinegar.
3. Wait a few minutes for a change of colour, if it happens you are pregnant.
4. If there is no significant change of colour, your test result is negative.
6. The baking soda DIY method
Baking soda is also considered to identify the pregnancy hormone in the urine.
1. In a bowl, take two tablespoon baking soda.
2. Tip one tablespoon urine into the baking soda.
3. After a few minutes, if the mixture begins to fizzle and froth, your test result is positive.
4. If the urine doesn’t react to the baking soda, your are not pregnant.